Friday, November 14, 2008

The Elysian fields-II


1st Part here
Part 2
Its been a month since Jay left home after he got an urgent call as usual. Last week, we couldn' talk to him as he was out for some emergency work. Sam has grown increasingly grumpy this week. He always had that strange sulky look on his face these days. He was evidently sad at not having talked to his dad in more than 10 days. Many times, he refused to eat anything. Atlast to make him eat, I had to promise him that I'll let him talk to his daddy for a longer time this week. But, what to say, it didn't happen this week also. He was still held up with some emergency, according to the officer who attended the phone. I had this tinge of uneasiness somewhere inside me but had to project my cheerful self before Sam. But, as if reading my mind, he asked me one day.

'Mamma, Won't daddy ever talk to me again'?

The pain in his voice almost made me burst into tears then. But, I held on with all my strength and told him,

'No sammy, He has gone to the mountains to buy you a gift from a yogi'.

He gave me a deceptive smile, from which I was not sure what to make out.

One more week went by with no news from Jay. The next tuesday morning, a burly gentleman was seen opening our gate and walking in. He had a small cover in his hand with that unmistakable insignia of the Indian army on it. I think Jay has delivered a letter through a messenger as he was not able to contact us for long. My heart leapt with joy. Sam will be back to his happy self today, I hope. Then, for the first time, I looked at the man's face. I could read a sign of discomfort there. He came to the door, held out the letter and uttered those dreadful words-
"I am sorry".

The first thing I saw in my mind then was a disturbing image of those castles that Sammy used to build in sand, crashing down. I slowly opened the cover and straightened the white paper. The words didn't quiet register and I still don't know what I read that day. I only remember that man telling me after sometime-

"The ambulance will be here in half an hour".

Thats when I saw Sam walking in slowly. I guess he saw that teardrop falling from eyes. He suddenly ran to me and asked-

"Mamma, why are you crying? I've never sen you crying. Who is this uncle?"

I heard myself blurting out-
"Sammy, your Daddy won't talk to us again. And he would never come back again. He's gone with the yogi to the heavens."

I was shocked to hear such dispassionate words being spoken by myself. And I wondered why I talked so straight rather than sugar-coating the fact to make it digestable to a 5 year old. Maybe, I didn't want to give him a rude shock when the ambulance came. So, I wanted to steel his heart to take it. To my surprise and dismay, He didn't utter a word after that. He just stood there with tears streaming down endlessly. I pulled him close to me and he came to me as if he were a lifeless being. We stood like that waiting for our long waited guest to come one last time. The man just stood there watching a small bird making its nest in a nearby tree. I knew his eyes were not actually looking at it.

The wait didn't last long. The ambulance came and with it a stream of neighbourhood residents. As the tricolor cladded box was lowered to the ground, I felt sam pushing away from me. He ran along with it as it was carried into our drawing room. The men accompanying it kept it down and neatly folded the tricolour. As I ran towards the box, I could see his face through the glass that covered it. He still had that glow and a proud expression on his face. A part of the letter came to my mind now, "He fought on till his last breath and even carried his superior officer to safety before succumbing to his wounds". The nation must be proud of him. But, I just couldn't play the part of that brave wife whom we see often in stories as the one who never sheds a tear. I wailed uncontrollably. Thats when I thought of dear Sammy. I looked around. There was a huge crowd already, known as well as unknown people, gathered there to pay respect to the nation's latest hero. I saw him standing just behind me with a passive face. I couldn't read even a tinge of expression of any kind in his face. And, I couldn't find a single tear too..

To be Continued..
Read on here

your crusader Praveen

13 comments:

kartoos said...

continueeeeeeeeeee

Nandana R Pillai said...

Its getting more n more poignant uh..

Usha Pisharody said...

*choked up*
If I were to speak, I couldn't, I know. You do know how to wring out the emotion, and build it up well...

As Kartoos says... next one please!!!

Priya Joyce said...

this is gonna be tragic...I think so..but hats off to u for this..waiting for the next part re..
can't remain away frm blogs...

Unknown said...

Next part please...

Richa said...

waiting for the next part....

Anonymous said...

Honestly, I was expecting something like this..
very beautifully written..I want to hug Sammy :((

Unknown said...

aah..the second part has become too much passionate to handle it... really...

Anonymous said...

i missed the first part.. just read it.. nice.. good weaving.. carry on

Alagappan said...

a good second part to match the first dude.... :-) awaiting the next one... :-)

kiran sawhney said...

say this is not real life story. It is so sad and tragic. brings tears in my eyes.

V. Archana said...

ohh goddd!!! tragedy already. hey crusadertvm...dont make it soo teary,man!! :(

Praveen said...

@Kartoos
continuing..

@Nandana..
more to come..

@Usha
thnks for getting choked..heheh

@Priya.
hope i dont make it tragic:(

@rockus
coming soon

@richa
morrow

@swats
u r free to hug sammy:D

@afaque..
thnks:)

@chriz
thanks

@alagappan
thanks

@Kiran
no, this is not real life story..pure fiction..

@archana
:(cant help it