Saturday, October 11, 2008

Community Madness


"orkut is an online community designed to make your social life more active and stimulating. orkut's social network can help you maintain existing relationships with pictures and messages, and establish new ones by reaching out to people you've never met before. orkut makes it easy to find people who share your hobbies and interests, look for romantic connections or establish new business contacts. You can also create and join a wide variety of online communities to discuss current events, reconnect with old school mates or even exchange your favorite recipes."
-from the description of Orkut by its makers.

I was going through Richa's post on some funny advice she got from an unknown guy in orkut. This made me log into my orkut account where am not as active now, as I used to be. And I had a horror waiting there. There, in the front window diplaying my communities, I saw this name 'Proud to be gay'. Enough to send me into a fit of madness. Never in my wildest dreams would I've joined such a community which can put a big quesion mark over my sexual orientation. Neither am I a person who consumes drugs or alcohol to join such communities in a half conscious mind. Then, How could this have happened? My train of thoughts led me to a conversation I had with a friend sometime back. He had told me that some communities in orkut changes their name and description one fine morning and morph into an entirely unrelated new community. Some clever guys create communities under popular titles so that lots of people will join. Then they change the name to whatever they want. But the people who joined the old community will be retained unless they themselves rejoin. So,that might be the case.

I had this habit of joining any community which I found interesting. So I ended up with close to 800 communities, mostly music related. And, now am finding it hard to figure out which straight community suddenly went the 'gay' way. Anyway I unjoined from there the next moment. To prevent me from more embarrasments, I started checking each of my community names and that gave me another shock- "Raju fans club". My first thought was about malayalam comedy
actor Raju, whom I admire. But I didn't remember joining such a community. A closer examination proved that this is some random guy who had cleverly changed the name of some popular community after getting many members. The depths people go in self promotion. As my search for such lousy communities in my list continued, I stumbled upon some real cheesy ones that I had joined about four years ago. Sample these-"I am born to be cool", "I will always make you smile", "GenX Junction", "I will never leave your hand". Now I really fear I were under the influence of drugs when I joined these kinda communities.

So, what the makers say about it has indeed come true, orkut has made my social life stimulating, but not in a straight way. It has also helped me "maintain existing relationships with pictures and messages, and establish new ones by reaching out to people you've never met before". Very true. I donnow how many such new relationships are waiting for me. I am still continuing my unjoining spree from many communities. Its such a long list and I am dead tired now. Next up is my friends list which will be halved if I delete the people who have added me and never even scrapped thereafter. Just thinking about the days in which friends meant the 10-15 guys whom I used to play 'hide and seek' with in the backyard.

Bad Bad server.No donut for u.

PS-Check your community list too. You maybe member of "I suck bigtime" community by now.

your crusader Praveen

23 comments:

Usha Pisharody said...

You know what? I thought, and so did a lot of others on my list, that I was crazy when I did the same thing, about 8 months ago. I'm delighted to find a compatriot in arms.. lolzz...

Very very very true. All of what you have expressed here. I have many students of mine, whose proiles are creations of wonder. The friend list no., the comm. no., the scrap no., are all to be maintained at maximum.. And it frightens me sometimes as to the extent to which these kids would go, to create or join any community!

I liked, therefore, your piece of sensible advice to those who orkut. [I've decided there should be such a verb, Orkut being so universal and all... :)]It's time to do a reality check, however virtual that may be!

Nice one, Crusader. The voice is responsible!

Praveen said...

yeah..so many people find it as a status symbol to have 999 friends and 999 communities(999 is the max) in their profile. and some have created more than one profiles to accomodate more friends. 1000 friends? Imagine saying good morning to 1000 friends on a single day:P

addiction to communities- 'orcommunism';)

Usha Pisharody said...

The word building gets more interesting!
Orcommunism... lol! Good going! I hope Mr Marx is ok in his grave!!!

Kartz said...

I joined orkut and facebook at the same time... Guess 4-5? At tht time, I fancied orkut because one cd join it only via invite... While facebook was free for all...

Fast fwd... Today... I loathe orkut. The only reason I am still there is I have gotten in touch with all my childhood friends! All of them... And I value facebook for its security features... Sadly orkut has gone down in tht... I dont care wht others ve to say (Yes, orkut may have improved; but facebook is a cut above.)

Coming to the experience u had... I was a member of a community once called- Secrets on Mind Power... I was an active poster there. All of a sudden, it is changed to Kareena Kapoor fan club (I hate her...) but NO posts on Bebo (surprise! :P") Seriously... Disgusting...

And yeah... No other "surprises" thus far... :)

Good post... And btw, remember to feed orkut doughnuts when u surf on Google Chrome... ;)

Peace.

Praveen said...

@Usha
marx might be ok..But Indian communists who haven't even read communist manifesto will be baying for my blood for such a blasphemy.

@Kartz
I am a member of just orkut. that too am fed up. So decided against joining anymore social networking sites, even when facebook was becoming a rage with some of my friends.
one doubt, u hate bebo, then y r u sad tht there was no post on her:p?hehheheheeee

kartoos said...

ROTFL.:D:D:DI am proud to say that my friendslist consisit of only people i know personally. before i start teasing you about the communities lemme check mine:D

Praveen said...

@Indu
the next second after u posted this comment I saw u logged into orkut..hahhaa...happy that I managed to scare you:P

scorpiogenius said...

so whats the good lesson you learned from this Praveen??

Carry only what you can! :)))heheheheeee...

Priya Joyce said...

I am not on orkut i am on Hi5 yupp juss joined out there u fined reely good ppl there but ye sum r reely weird so wat do is juss to delete those frm the frnds list hey tats true for blogger too..though it can't be called a community as such.
But wen u find sum good frnds its worth ignoting those pig heads ha ha

Richa said...

I too am one of the people who are on these networking sites juz to remain connected with old time friends and yeah a few blog frnz too recently :D.
And the community thingy- I too found myslef joined a community called -Apna Mianwala Gym (our gym at Mianwala) which had a display pic of none lesser than a physique exceeding arnold schwazenneger- i cud not scorn anything more..
--------

Hehehe
good post :D

Tara said...

He he funny! ;)

"Some clever guys create communities under popular titles so that lots of people will join. Then they change the name to whatever they want."

That's so smartly evil! I have never been too fond of "social networking" sites anyway. I deleted my account from Orkut sometime back. It was getting too messy out there. Nice post (loved the ending, cool :) I sympathize with people who are victims of such cyber crimes :(

Anonymous said...

OMG…tht really sucks
Shocking and appalling
I am probably the only one who’s not on orkut
Thnx to the recluse within me :)

The invites for the rave party busted in Mumbai were being circulated on Orkut and other social netwroking sites..Orkut is a blessing but even a bane if rongly used

p-s: I am working as a freelancer

Unknown said...

goodness gracious me...thanks for opening up my eyes to dirty little traps in Orkut..

Praveen said...

@scorpio
Yeah..now I realised that:P

@priya
not much active on hi5..yes, ignore the pigheads;)

@richa
"Apna Mianwala Gym"..hehhe...were u by any chance a member of that gym:P?

@Tara
so many ppl r deleting their accounts in these sites because of such problems and other privacy issues

@Swats
yes, rave parties and suicide pacts are happening in orkut. but I still like it since I found many of my long lost friends there/
ps-great!

@ramanathan
did u have any such experiences with communities?

V. Archana said...

hey,nice to have blogged about this... i never even thought ppl would change titles of one community to another like this as i've joined only a handful of them.Thats really nasty of them.
Liked some of your other posting too,praveen.keep it up :)
Regards,
Archana

Praveen said...

@archana
anyways keep an eye on your community names:D
thnks 4 the nice words

Si_Lee said...

was on a hiatus .. and nice post
loved the last line .. totally he he
brilliant template btw

Unknown said...

This has been going around for a while now.

So, what the makers say about it has indeed come true, orkut has made my social life stimulating, but not in a straight way.

The best line! :-)

Praveen said...

@sid
hehhee:D
thnks man

@akhil
yes..and its time to stop it

thomas said...

I've heard that there is a orkut code that promises to open albums. But when you run it you get added to lots of communities, and people added to your list.

By the way, I don't have any accounts in any social networking sites. The only ones are blogger and yahoomail. Do you know how much free time I've after i unjoined all the networking sites.

thomas said...

I've heard that there is a orkut code that promises to open albums. But when you run it you get added to lots of communities, and people added to your list.

By the way, I don't have any accounts in any social networking sites. The only ones are blogger and yahoomail. Do you know how much free time I've after i unjoined all the networking sites.

Praveen said...

@Thomman
thats one crazy code..hehhee:P..mind you, I dint get all those communities after using that code

even I have account only in orkut, where I spent max 15 mins a day

Joseph said...

check http://keralamates.com