Thursday, June 22, 2006

WORLD MUSIC DAY- A journey.....

Today is the world music day...It could better be called a day specially for die hard music fans like me...My day started with the soothing strains of guitar from the song 'Vellai Pookkal' by A.R.Rahman. A song for world peace, this one could be called one of India's best exports to world music. So, a perfect start to the day.
Then I came to Deep Forest's 'Forest Hymn', which gave me a feeling of being inside some dense African forest with the tribal singers all around me. Truely, a 'Jungli' xperience.
Now its time to escape from the jungle to the Carribean Islands. Hmm...I could hear Bob Marley's classic 'Buffallo Soldier' from a distance. Somehow, that reminded me of our own Marley, Jassie gift. Its time for some tabla with the maestro Zakir Hussain and Dasgupta on Sarod. It was part of a 1989 concert in Canada. Heavenly.....Man, what is this?Where are your favorite rock songs...bingo...here it comes...Oasis's' Wonderwall', voted as one of the best songs played on guitar. Then came Metallica's 'The outlaw torn', not a very famous song, but i like this very much for that pumping rhythm. Back to another softie..Damien Rice's 'Cannonball'...cool guitar work and amazing romantic lyrics...ha..got me into dreamworld...

Now some jazz with Norah Jones's 'Come Away with me'..can any be song be softer than this?, I was wondering....
What music without some of our own great Raveendran Master's song...I played my favs...'Pramadhavanam'...'Harimuraleeravam'......The unmistakable classical touch in film songs...i bow my head to the legend...
Now some sufi stuff...Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan is the first and last stop...and the sufi inspired 'chaiyya chaiyya' of ARR came next....
Back to rock...Guns N Roses's 'Sweet Child O' Mine' and 'Estranged'....
Now some death...Slipknot's 'duality' sounds great and visuals.... aaah...Goryyyyy
What about some old rock n roll classic...yeah...BEATLES...'love me do', 'hey Jude' and 'Let it be'....a nod to the swinging 60s....
back to some soothing instrumentals with Pandit Vishwa Mohan Bhatt and his Mohana veena in raag Sarang from his grammy award winning album 'The lure of desert'...then U.Srinivas playing 'Endaro mahanobhaavulu' in his mandolin...2 of my all time favorites...
Now its the time to disco with some dance music from venga boys...i played the song for the socccer season...'Brazilllllllll'.....I ended the listening session with A.R.Rahman's 'Golden age' from 'warriors of Heaven and earth'...

Now time to get out and celebrate the day...me and my friends went to the museum auditorium in the evening for the world music day celebrations by alliance de francaise...It featured many artists from in and around kerala playing music ranging from classical to blues....a great way to end a music filled day...

Now am back at my home ready for another musical ride...This time the artist and listener is the same person....myself on guitar...playing 4 me....he hee....

Yours musically, Crusader Praveen

No comments: