Tuesday, April 06, 2010

A Goodbye & A Welcome

It all started on March 14th 2009, the start of my tryst with serious photography. Thats the day when I first laid my hands on the shiny new canon sx10IS. It started in automode considering my previous photography experience in the olympus film camera and sony erricson mobile. It was a dream come true to own that monster with 20x zoom. And on the second day the cam went straight to a concert with motherjane. Again, shooting a rainy concert in automode from the shades of the stage. Quite a few OK clicks and lots of shaky stuff. As I wondered how to get over this, Guru Vivek arrives. Over the next few days, he handed down several tips and lessons over phone and gtalk. And after few weeks, a hands on session at Trivandrum too. I was hooked to the art of photography. Over the one year, the cam travelled quite a few places, watched a hell lot of concerts and clicked close to 15,000 clicks. It has grown to be just an extension of me and it was a hard task to decide letting it go. That was around the time I decided to get more serious with this and buy an SLR.

And thus the big brother arrived after exactly one year, on March 16th 2010. Canon 500D with 18-55 kit lens and an additional 50mm lens. It was time to let go my first real cam. Financial constraints made it necessary that I let it go. And thus, last week I bid goodbye to my first real camera, the reason behind the photoblog myopiclenses. They say, don't get materialistic. But this particular material did have an emotional attachment, an attachment of having travelled together, having wondered at the same sights, having clicked the same shots...as I said earlier, an extension of myself. So, cheers to you my dear cam. Click a lakh more and bring smiles wherever you go :)

A selection of my favorite shots with the cam..(in no specific order)

The blackrider @Veli beach

The mystery man @Sulthan battery beach,Mangalore

Kathakali performance @onam celebrations, Infy Bangalore

Nehru trophy vallom kali @Alappuzha

Looking ahead... @Veli beach

most innocent smile ever @madiwala market

Perfect reflections @end point, Manipal

Ustad and the shishya-Sivamani all admiration for Zakir Hussain @Heartbeats concert,Bangalore

Drops... @lalbagh

Starfish @sulthan battery beach,Mangalore

bhaiyya..woh dekho... @Gateway of India, Bombay

Indian Ocean @octoberfest,Bangalore

Textures @Deccan rock fest,Palace grounds, Bangalore

Chaos @Manipal

Amon Amarth @Deccan rock fest,Palace grounds, Bangalore

Crushed childhood @Broken bridge,Madras

the photoshoot for the amajaniac T shirt...(Yes, though am in the photo. I clicked this:P..thanks to the 10 second timer and the window on which I hung the cam after the shutter speed and aperture settings)


butterfly @palakkad


roadhouse greens @Coorg

single.. @Bangalore DC

And Now to the cams
The old cam- Canon powershot sx10 IS..clicked by new cam:D
The new cam- Canon 500D+Kit lens+50mm /1.8 lens..clicked by old cam :D

Both cams together...clicked by mobile :D

More photography updates happening soon in my photoblog- http://myopiclenses.blogspot.com/

8 comments:

Jon said...

You were always a great photographer...looking forward for brighter days!!!!

Rakesh Vanamali said...

Many congratulations on the new toy!

And, some breathtaking pictures here!

Ashwathy said...

hey u got some awesome pics there dude! :-)

i was (and still am) torn between going in for canon sx20is and nikon p100 :-(

Praveen said...

@Jon
thnks man :)

@V Rakesh
Thanks :)

@Ashwathy
stop thinking..go for the sx20...!!no doubt there...

scorpiogenius said...

Man! That reflections shot from the end-point Manipal is incredible!! I mean INCREDIBLE!!!!

You need to take it up more seriously Praveen. Gimme your flickr id please, and get on more stuff like this. Photography interests me though I'm no good at it.

Usha Pisharody said...

It is always tough letting go! And yes after doing yeoman service, I hope it will go on and give flight to more dreams that the next owner has, as it did with you :)

Your pictures are really breathtaking! Going over tothe photoblog now :)

KarunaaDa KannaDati said...

yeah we do need to let go sometimes. But its all for the better. Some other novice would hone his skills with that cam and you tend to get better with your new one and then maybe part ways again as you move up the ladder. aDa-maniac yeah would love to see more of your photographs and probably a travellogue writeup with pictures, since you write well too. Keep on with it. I read most of your blogs though I dont drop in a comment on each one.

june said...

I absolutely LOVE this post and every pic :)